Sunday, October 19, 2008

My endorsement for EUSD School Board

From Encinitas School Board


For what it's worth, I'm voting for Skiljan/Page for the EUSD Board. My observations of many in the current EUSD administration is that they are cavalier in dealing with concerns from the community they serve. I believe Mary will bring perspective to the board about the needs of our schools. Mary is an active parent at Ocean Knoll Elementary School, previously one of the 'underperforming' schools in the district. I am confident she understands what makes each of our schools unique. In addition, in conversation with her and from her comments at the League of Women Voters Forum, I know she is not willing to let students settle for anything less than their best. Issues that I think the board will be dealing with in the future: the Pacific View property, equity at all schools in EUSD and preparing our kids for the 'flattening world'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I starting reading The World is Flat some time ago but got distracted by other things and it was gathering dust on my nightstand (along with other "should reads" like Raising a G-Rated Family in an X-Rated World and The Last Lecture). I started reading it again because of your reference. Thank you for reminding me of an important book for parents, educators, policy makers, voters... well, just about everyone. Friedman's insights on changes in the engineering workforce in the U.S. match my husband's observations from 20 years in that field. Around page 400 are tips for parents in readying kids for the global economy such as turn off the TV, video games, etc, and instill a love of reading in your kids and a stronger work ethic about school. Interesting observation about Cal Tech students being from predominantly public schools not private schools where kids are more likely to feel entitled and less willing to buckle down and study.