Monday, March 23, 2009

Homework: Bringing families together.



I'm no fan of homework and have posted about my disdain for homework before. I don't give it out as a teacher, and don't expect it to come home with my kids. My feeling is, if I'm not getting it done with students in the classroom, then I need to look at my use of time when I'm teaching. When I was teaching sixth grade a few years ago, I had many conversations with my colleagues about my reasons for not giving homework. They felt I was not preparing my students for the rigors of middle school. My response was that I'm preparing students for the curriculum of middle school, not building up their endurance for homework. As a result of those conversations, I ended up spending a day observing at a local middle school to see just what the expectations for homework were. Talking to some of my students who had moved on to seventh grade, many informed me that their homework was in fact less than it was in sixth grade. In speaking to the principal, he said the San Dieguito Union High School District was beginning (this would have been three years ago) to have teachers look at the necessity of the homework they were assigning. To quote this principal "We just aren't sure than students need to color in a map for social studies every night." For those of you who haven't, read The Homework Myth by Alfie Kohn. This post was sparked by this article in the LA Times today on homework. Advocate for your kids. Despite what many of my colleagues might say, there is a difference between study skills and homework.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parents and teachers need to read The Homework Myth. Our kids need time to explore the world, to ride their bikes, climb trees, watch the nesting hummingbirds, read a book they choose. Homework discourages love of learning and often becomes a family battle. Those primary "homework packets" are a waste of time. It would be much better to share a story or a poem, sing a song, find Orion in the night sky, or sketch a picture of the raccoon in the back yard.

K. C. said...

Is homework and its incorporation researched and then taught about in teachers' education?

I did a NSF fellowship as a science graduate student a few years back. That fellowship put me in K-6 classrooms teaching science. I did hands on inquiry science. We were trained by professors out of the teacher education department and we never talked about or issued homework.

Mike said...

Kevin - Homework is not taught in credential programs. It isn't even pushed by administration at school sites. It seems to just 'be', like an annoying family member you feel you need to keep inviting back to Thanksgiving dinner because, well, they're family and that's what family does. I've had parents ask for more homework in the past, but my experience in three districts is 'it's just what we do', usually from the 'veteran' teachers. Ask a teacher sometime why they give homework and the answers usually are 'parents want it' or 'it teaches good study habits'. Fortunately, districts, like Solana Beach, are saying no through at least first grade. I'm saying no period.

Anonymous said...

I'm a retired "veteran" teacher who taught for 25 years in Encinitas. . Homework is a waste of time, for students, teachers, and parents. Paul Ecke Central should be cutting edge and eliminate it.

Anonymous said...

In my mind, NEVER giving homework is as stupid and irresponsible as those teachers that give homework every night just because they are suppose to. There are many, many times in 2-6 when kids need to spend extra time learning skills and homework works. Quite being hardheaded. Its not about you. Its about the kids.

Mike said...

Anonymous 1:49 - I'm curious to know where you are finding evidence that 'home works', and specifically, what does homework work on? There is no evidence, anywhere, that homework benefits a student's learning. In facts, all the evidence from research is to the contrary both academically and socially. If you mean that homework works to get a project done that did not get completed in class or finish an essay that was not completed in class, I would say that is not about the kids, but about time management in the classroom. My point is that if I am giving out homework as a teacher, I better be able to answer why.

Anonymous 10:19 - Many teachers at PEC, other sites in Encinitas and sites in other districts are saying no to homework, or at least cutting way back.

Anonymous said...

C’mon…you’re going to tell me that working on skills outside the classroom does nothing to advance learning. That’s absurd. Kids, adults, we all have to practice new skills we are learning.

My years of experience with my kids has shown me over and over and over that studying at home works. They come home with a list of words for their spelling test – have no clue, and after some practice head to class to ace the test. Their math skills quickly improve after taking time to do the homework - practicing. I see this weekly. My daughter takes piano. Every week she has homework and after lots of practice in our home, she becomes a much better player, ready to tackle the next class. My son plays basketball. His coach asks the parents to please practice dribbling and it’s always apparent which kids practiced and which kids did not.

What I want from a teacher is someone that takes class time to teach -- practices a little and then sends the kids home to practice the skills (if necessary). Homework can reinforce what they learned in class. What I don’t want from a teacher is someone that teaches in class, and then has the class do their homework in class while the teacher surfs the web or writes in their blog. I want teacher’s teaching -- not babysitting while the kids practice their skills.

BTW, at what age do you believe homework becomes helpful? High School? College? Grad School? I know I did a lot of homework in College and I’m gonna be pissed if didn’t do any good.