Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Boys in school

A great read in the Huffington Post about what it feels like to be a boy in elementary school. When I was getting my credential ten years ago, I was told 'school's are looking for men in the classroom'. At my first position in Oceanside, I found that to be true. There were at least six of us in a pretty small elementary school. In Del Mar and PEC, not so much. Having two boys in elementary school, much of this article rings true. As a classroom teacher, it pains me there are not more males in the classroom. The comments at conference time are consistent, usually from young female teachers who have no kids of there own, let alone boys. "He has a hard time sitting still." Sounds like the same report my parents got 30+ years ago!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a teacher and you spell "there own" incorrectly? Oops.